Basset hound Overview
Basset Hound Information
|Other Name||Basset, Hush Puppy|
|Life Cycle||10-12 years|
|Character||Friendly, Gentle, Affectionate, Sweet, Tenacious, Devoted, lovely|
Female: 11-14 inches
|Weight||Male: 50-75 pounds|
Female: 45-65 pounds
|Color||Black & White, Brown & White, Red & White, Lemon & White, Tri-color|
|Average price||500 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Shedding||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Grooming||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
Versatile medium dog, Basset hound is sociable companion that surpasses in obedience, conformation, tracking, trailing and pack hunting. They are natural hunter and chaser with extreme sensitivity to scents. Either alone or pack hunter this dog has power and stamina to dispatch quarries. Amiable with pets including dogs, tends affectionate to children, rarely stubborn and lazy in movements but loud bark usually at positive scent track. They require minimal grooming. Unable to distract when lock-on to scent, they usually track till its logical end.
Basset Hounds are medium sized – heavy structured with additional benefit of short legs to suit deep penetration in dense bushy regions. Sturdy physique is augmented by strong bones is right in proportion. The coat is thick and tight to body, quite helpful in hunting tasks, generally available in combinations of tan, white, red, black and some additional colors. The gait is smooth but powerful and inquisitive; Basset tends to move with nose close to ground for better scent detection.
Origin of the Basset Hound is France, initially developed as trailer of small game for hunter’s indications, this breed achieved popularity during the reign of Emperor Napoleon. Bassets had also been kept in kennels of royalties during the reign of Queen Alexandra during 1880s. One Basset namely Marquis de Lafayette was presented to the President of USA George Washington. The name of Basset Hound breed is derived from a French word ‘Basset’, which means a short-heighted or dwarf, this low at ground breed is ideal for hunters to follow on feet with enhanced sensitivity of smelling scents at low level hidden or camouflaged game. The dog hunted small animals especially rabbits and hares, four versions of short-legged hounds were equally used during that period in which Artesien Normand is prominent, crossing with bloodhound was offered to increase size, which resulted in tempered dog. In late 1800s, the dog was firstly introduced to England and USA, thereafter the breed grew slowly throughout America. Besides hunter, trailer, tracker and conformation dog, the breed is also companionable.
Hunting and tracking is the trait of this breed, the field of action is outdoors and this breed possesses great balance in physique and mind. The Basset Hounds are at higher stamina than speed. They are able to company its owner for whole day long at hunt. Slow speed enables human hunters to follow dog on feet and furthermore distant detection of game is favourable to them. This energetic breed needs to be deployed for tasks, as a house pet and need more than average exercise to satisfy its physical and mental stimulation. Long walks on-leash, running in closed fences, playing in yard, all such activities would be conducted regularly.
During puppyhood, the dog tends to be shy or timid of strangers, however socialization would bring acceptable temperament in them.
Top 50 Dog Breeds
They proved sociable with all pet list of house including cats and dogs, however small rodents may get attention of this hunter. Moderately intelligent, this dog sometimes tend to be stubborn, thus slight challenging in housetrain. Commitment with patience is the key to train in an efficient manner. Basset Hounds are low shedders and considered sleek, they need minimal grooming, however, ears, face and wrinkles on mouth need regular cleaning. You need to accept its drools while selecting Basset Hound as family pet.
Owner Should Know
- This energetic breed needs strong handler during socialization training. Crate training would result better.
- The Basset Hounds are extremely sensitive to scents, their investigative nature may tempt them to track and trail miles down, as they trail till an end. Keep in leash or in fenced yard to control its movement. You would have to accept heavy drool, change your selection otherwise.
- Bassets are reported with abdominal gas problems, you need to consult veterinary expert periodically. The Basset Hounds eat a lot, this trend makes them clumsy and overweight.
- Always monitor food intakes, ensure right proportion in diet for healthful life.
- Keep your Basset hygienically clean especially ears to avoid any possible infection.
- They howl loudly when left alone for long times.
- Instruct your children not to ride on the back of Basset, that may cause back problem, same way, small legs are prone to damage due to rough handling and jumping.
- Body weight is not exactly balanced over four legs, the dog is heavier at shoulders, thus unsuitable for swimming, do not let the dog to try swim, as experience showed the breed is non-swimmer.
- Seek for reputed and trustworthy breeder or supplier to get healthy puppy, ensure puppies are clinically checked and are disease free.