|Other Name||Chinese Pug, Dutch bulldog, Mini Mastiff, Mops, Carlin|
|Life Cycle||12-15 years|
|Character||Sociable, Stubborn, Playful, Charming, Clever|
|Height||Male: 10-12 inches|
Female: 10-12 inches
Female: 12-16 pound
|Color||Black, Apricot, Silver, Fawn|
|Average price||400 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Shedding||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Grooming||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
Truly an active and playful family companion, the Pug is a small dog. It is a compact and cheerful family member. The breed is very attentive and sharp. They love to entertain the family, keep them laughing and enjoying with their naughty tricks. They are family dogs and are much suited for indoors activities, therefore, ideal for apartment life. They behave extraordinarily gentle with children and other pet animals. They are sometimes curious of strangers, whereas mostly welcome the strangers enthusiastically and instantly make them friend. Besides its size, they are hard and tough structured dog. Principally, the Pugs are family companion and are able to handle a variety of situations
The Pugs are compact in size with healthy build. They hold the features of large dog in the short square-proportioned body. Pug has strong, cheerful and lively gait with a very slight notable roll due to its hindquarters. They appear very balmy and graceful with wrinkles on forehead. Coat of the breed is smooth and fine with short length. Expression is very tricky, alert and elegant.
The Pugs are believed to be from Asia and are the oldest breed. In Victorian times the breed got fame at its extreme in 19th century. It was travelled across the world in its early times. The breed is distinguished being historic and has connections with monarchy, royalty and imperials. The dog is only family pet and had been used as family companion. The Pugs remain pets of Tibetan monasteries, family companion of French and British royalties. They own the title of official dog of the House of Orange in Holland. The dog is also owned by Prince William II and famous for saving His life by alerting him about the presence of approaching Spaniards in 1572 at Hermingny. Napoleon’s wife Josephine had a Pug and was bonded extremely strong, that she accompanied the Pug in her bridal room on wedding day. Napoleon denied allowing the dog to sleep with them, Josephine told him that she will also not sleep if Pug is not allowed. Josephine used the same dog to send classified messages to her husband when she was sent to prison also. British soldiers found some Pugs and Pekingese dogs in Chinese Imperial Palace and brought to England in 1860 when British took over China palace. The Pug was registered with American Kennel Club in 1885. The dog is currently used as family companion, a low level watchdog and entertainer.
High spirited, amusing, and jokey little Pug is playful family companion. This compact dog is zippy, cheerful and lively. They are familiar to house held environments and suit exactly as they are the part of the family. They make the people attracted and interested towards them, forces them to laugh and cheer up.
Top 50 Dog Breeds
They want the affection and love in return, they want to attain central position of the attentions. They love playing with children but it does not mean that they only love to run and run. They need different activities, otherwise they may get frustrated.
Female Pugs sometimes tend to be independent, however, the male Pug is very free and ready to consent friendship from strangers. The breed is totally harmless to other pet, including non-canine pets. Socialization and housetrain is very important to make dog usable within family environment.
Owner Should Know
- Training from its very early days is mandatory, socialize the dog by introducing all possible animals you intend to keep as pet in their puppyhood.
- Pugs are temperature sensitive and have dust allergies as well. The dog is developed for indoor environment and should be kept indoors, preferably in air condition area. Watch the dog carefully for any overheating when on walk with it. The Pugs are classified as high shedders, besides its short coat. Grooming is felt essential.
- The breed is subject to snort, wheeze and snore loudly, make sure you accept these elements. Otherwise change your choice.
- The eyes of the Pug occupy a very prominent position and are at risk of injuries during play. Young kids could harm and cause any unintentional disability.
- Pugs are extremely high eater and will continue eating until you stop them. They would gain weight and be clumsy. Introduce some light exercises or extended walks if gaining of weight is observed.
- Pugs are made for family and need to live with. Leaving alone for quite long time would make the dog aggressive and destructive.
- Pugs are extensively shown in dog shows, dressed colorfully looks very cute.
- Seek for reputed breeders or trustworthy suppliers to get healthy puppies. Ensure puppies are clinically checked and found disease free.