|Other Name||Maltese dog|
|Life Cycle||12-15 years|
|Character||Playful, Affectionate, Daring, Intelligent, Polite, Active|
|Height||Male: 8-11 inches|
Female: 7-10 inches
Female: 3-7 pound
|Average price||700 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Shedding||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Grooming||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
The Maltese is a lapdog with long hairs around its body. Its look is pretty and too charming to attract the viewer. It is energetic and challenging natured dog, love to run and play with family members. It is toy like animal accepted by all family members. The dog is eager to please and get involved in household routine. It is fearless and can stand against the dogs of larger size. It stands aside of strangers, some of them are extensive barkers. Its nature is bold and plucky. It is proven family companion.
The whole expression of the dog is compact with rounded skull, a big black nose with brown eyes exactly rounded. The coat is single with long straight hairs, sometimes a little wavy. The coat is the prime element of dog’s attraction and recognition. The gait is stylish, flawless and ground covering. The silky shiny long hairs of tiny dog touch to the ground, combing and pinning the hair to beautify the look by the active children of the family is common.
Breed of small dog in the Toy Group is said to be descends from dogs originating in the Central Mediterranean Area. The breed’s origin is generally from the Mediterranean island nation of Malta. The major development and preservation is based from Italy. Sometimes it is called as the ‘ancient dog of Malta’. The breed was famous for dog shows and was also adapted by young couples having no children. The Maltese in lap would satisfy them as if it is their child. It remained a bed-mate with many royal ladies. Reformers brought the dog to England on their return to home from the Mediterranean region. The breed has been referred falsely as the “Bichon”, but officially settled on the name “Maltese” for the breed in the 19th century by AKC. The breed is also ranked high in the most abandoned breed of the dog. This breed is Australia’s most dumped breed. The Maltese dog was recognized in 1888 by the AKC.
The breed is one of the mildest, well behaved, toy breed little lapdogs. Not only the dog but the family members also enjoy mutual activities. The dog is active, lively and entertaining to its viewers, affectionate towards children. In return, the dog also requires tender handling and care. The size suggests a fragile dog which could be easily damaged or harmed by young children. They tend to run in circles vigorously. They remain loyal and pay gratitude towards their owner when they receive affection and love from them. Although, they are not aggressive biter, however they wish to protect their owner and his family. They bark violently when any danger to owner or family is felt. They have good senses to identify odd smells and sounds.
Top 50 Dog Breeds
They not only are human companion, but they are also fantastic to other pets of the house, they are fearless to larger dogs and animals of great size. The socialization in early time would bring more harmony and gentleness in them and will prove all time companion of the family. Loneliness can develop some unpleasant effects in them, they may suffer from anxiety of separation and would get restless.
Owner Should Know
- Being fragile and tinny, training would be demanding and a little tough.
- Maltese may lose their courage and strength when left jobless or without activity.
- Maltese has single coat of long hairs, no under coat is available for better protection against sunlight and other weather phenomenon. Care must be taken to avoid sunburn.
- Maltese would not be suitable for the houses having naughty children or racy pets, they could cause harm to the dog.
- Dental problems are common in this breed, seek advice from reputed veterinary expert for brushing and cleaning of mouth.
- The dog is much suited for the people who have dog allergies. Their long hairy coat protects others from any chance of dog allergies.
- Apartment living is good for them, a small yard is enough to exercise their activities.
- Seek for reputed and trusted breeder or supplier to get healthy puppies, ensure puppies are clinically checked and are disease free.