|Other Name||Cuban Bichon, Havaneser, Havanezer, Bichon Habanero|
|Life Cycle||12-15 years|
|Character||Intelligent, Companion, Playful, Affectionate, Gentle and Active|
|Height||Male: 8-12 inches|
Female: 8-12 inches
Female: 7-13 pound
|Color||Black, White, Fawn, Mahogany, Tobacco, Havana Brown|
|Average price||900 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Shedding||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Grooming||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
Havanese is an active, busy and a family centered dog which loves to be at attention. It involves all family in entertainment. It is very affectionate and gentle with family members, children and other pets. It is noteworthy that Havanese is also very affectionate with all out of the family, children and strangers. As a simple statement, Havanese is non-aggressive, accepts all human and animals. It is willing to please and amuse having quick learning mind. It tends to be more active, reactive and vocal. It is trainable to mold at any angle of obedience. It is excellent in circus performer, canine careers, assisting the handicapped and sports dog.
Havanese is a tiny dog with small structure and short legs. Its pace is graceful, making more noticeable by vigorous dynamics representing the happy nature of the dog. Soft and shiny skin coats make it more attractive. Outer one have 6 to 8 inches long hairs shaping straight, sometimes a litter curly flagging in a wavy motion. A combine effect of appearance is very alert and polite.
Havanese is said to be the related breed of Bichon group. Bichon were famous as lapdogs and were brought to Cuba from Europe during 17th century. The original Bichon breed could not tolerate the Cuban weather and could not survive, however, an adapted breed is established in Cuba from these puppies, which is finally known as ‘Blanquito de la Habana’ also named as Havanese silk dog. These dogs have the entire similarity with original Bichons with white shiny silky coat. In 19th century, transition amongst European nations i.e, French, Germany and Cuba, this breed travelled across the borders. During 18th and 19th centuries, Havanese was the most favorite pet of the upper class community in Cuba. The dog was able to survive in severe tropical heat of Cuba. Till 20th century, Cubans kept the breed growing and developing. In 1970s, the dog was firstly introduced to USA by the immigrants from Cuba and was finally recognized by AKC (American Kennel Club) in 1996.
A complete performer as clown, Havanese is very attractive, attentive and clever dog. It is tricky and able to get noticed in the community. They love to be noticed. They want to be the centre of the attention of peoples around them. They are famous for building quick friendship with strangers and guests. This tricky nature of the dog served a long time as a comprehensive entertainer dog in circus. They are small in size and fit in any environment in flat or apartment life as well as open houses. This breed can be termed as a toy breed and will enjoy playing with children. They provide full support to children teams in playing many human games. They have greater tolerance upon any unlike action of child during play, whereas, other breeds of this type get aggressive.
Havanese desire to be with their owner all the time, their playful nature is sometimes demanding for owners,
Top 50 Dog Breeds
as they need attention and want to be involved in some activities all the time.
The dog is said to be the complete follower of owner and will move with him from room to room. Havanese accepts all other pets in the house and never become jealous if owner give more attention to any other pet. They make friends and playmates from other family pets instead.
Havanese will bark at strangers entering in your home and will keep them engaged until you accept the strangers. Soon after your acceptance, they will behave like family friends. Excessive barking is not the habit of the Havanese dog. Neither this dog is shy, nor fear-caught, even the size is very small. All kinds of pets and people are attractive towards Havanese dog. The best option for the pet loving families is Havanese dog.
Owner Should Know
- The Havanese is a family dog, it needs attention, it will suffer when left alone.
- A bad habit in the puppies of this breed is to eat its own stool, make arrangement to avoid this bad habit.
- Long hairy coat of Havanese is a natural protection against cold and hot weathers. Thick shiny coat stops cold from penetrating into the body in winters and long hairs stops heat to effect internal organs and keeps them cool in summer.
- Being a small pet, Havanese is well suited for all types of livings ranging from flat life through apartment and separate home living. Havanese does not react on loud sounds and did not bark to listen its own sound.
- The Havanese loves to watch the entire scene from high point, that’s why it tends to ride up at high points on tables, sofas and other high corners.
- The Havanese has a favorite activity with paper by shredding and spreading pieces all around. It will search papers from all available places, even from the pocket of the guests to satisfy itself. A toilet roll is the favorite one, toss it towards the dog and after a while your house will look like a paper mill.
- The Havanese dog remains active throughout the day and needs activities in the same time span. Daily exercise can be planned to keep busy, however, the dog itself can find the business itself.
- As the dog is small and generally lapdog, pay attention towards medical fitness, regular clinical checkups, vaccination and other treatment is mandatory as this breed operates very close to children and young kids.
- Search for reputed and trusted breeder to get the puppies, ensure puppies are disease free.