Shih Tzu breed dog Overview
Shih Tzu Information
|Other Name||Chinese lion, Chrysanthemum dog|
|Life Cycle||11 -15 years|
|Character||Independent, Courageous, Gentle, Playful, Vigilant and Friendly|
Female: 8-11 inches
|Weight||Male: 09-16 pounds|
Female: 08-16 pound
|Color||Black, Brindle, Blue, White, Brown, Liver and combinations|
|Average price||1000 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆|
|Shedding||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Grooming||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
Shih Tzu breed is made of love and devotion, the dog is a perfect housemate and preferred travel companion. They are lively and energetic small dogs, well mannered and adaptable to a wide variety of families. Shih Tzu remains devoted to family, eager to entertain and tends to follow the owner. Although small but tough dog, sometimes get stubborn and aggressive. They get along well with children, and other animals at home.
Long mantle hairs look gorgeous and are prime source of attraction for this compact and sturdy family companion. It is rectangle proportioned dog with good physical outline. Its double coat, dense with straight hairs enhances the charm and prettiness, the pace is easy, flowing, elegant and dignified. The Shih Tzu having small size to be selected as companion, still enjoys sound structure and physical strength. The overall expression is happy with wide eyes and sweet glance, enriching attractions.
The Shih Tzu breed, also called a sacred dog of temples was developed in Tibetan region. These dogs were used as the sacred gifts which were given to imperials to extent their gratitude and loyalty. The dog was presented to the emperors of China during 17th century in respect and recognition of their honor. Graved pictorial evidences are held with history as back as 16th century, depicting the dog like a small lion. Shih Tzu itself means “a little lion”, in local Chinese language. A couple of puppies were presented to Queen Elizabeth during 1930, this was the first step of Shih Tzu’s introduction to England. The breed achieved its popularity throughout the England and was transported to USA in 1960. The dog is favorite family pet and entertaining companion.
The little lion, Shih Tzu breed holds lion-like appearance and temperament as well, a small dog having courage and daring of larger dogs. The breed is one of the well adapted and famous breed and classified among the top most all-around breeds as agile family pet. Their compact size is compatible with variety of living conditions. It can easily be adopted by families having healthy population as well as single person accommodation. They are much suited for single person companion but the person should be old enough to understand the requirements of this fragile breed. The breed behaves well with owner and children equally; however young toddlers may harm the dog by pulling its mantle hair. The dog is tricky, funny and entertaining to its handler, it amuses nearby peoples as well. Shih Tzu dogs are sensitive, little explorer, keen and alert housemate. An American composer James Mumsford mentioned its ingredients of temperament in a quote which includes all possible cute, alert, attentive, attractive, brave, fearless, sturdy and furious wilds and pets.
Top 50 Dog Breeds
The Shih Tzu dogs are curious to strangers and only consent when you accept them; thereafter these dogs build friendship very quickly. As a vigilant and attentive watchdog, the Shih Tzu dogs will bark at unknown personnel heading toward the house, sometimes will jump out of the owner’s hand to interdict the suspect.
For the adoption of the Shih Tzu breed dog as pet, socialization is needed, and it should be commenced from its puppyhood. Introduce the dog with all possible animals you intended to keep as pet in your house during its puppyhood training. Teach commands to stop barking or stay calm to bring moderateness in temperament. The training of the breed is not so demanding and new dog owners can even handle it easily.
Owner Should Know
- The breed is sometimes falsely interpreted by terms like “Imperial”, or “teacup”, these are the marketing terms and are adopted to impress the customers only, however it only indicate a little about very small or relatively large size Shih Tzu.
- Puppies could tend to wander around the house, it could be trapped or escape anywhere. Never leave Shih Tzu wandering alone in yards.
- The breed is temperature sensitive, it can survive in cold winter but summer is tough for them, keep them indoors preferably in air conditioned boundary during hot summers.
- Long hairs around the body are beautifying, these should be avoided from matting, you need to comb daily to maintain breed’s uniqueness.
- They are quite good with children, but how the children would behave with this fragile dog? Family with young toddlers is not suited for this dog.
- The breed is prone to snore and wheeze, additionally some dental problem may also faced, always consult good veterinary experts for such issues.
- Scoop the poop away immediately, as the breed has ugly habit of eating stools.
- Fulfill exercise requirement by walking and accompanying the dog. They need very little exertion.
- Seek for reputed and trustworthy breeders to get healthy puppies, ensure puppies are clinically checked and are disease free.