German shepherd Overview
German Shepherd Information
|Other Name||Alsatian, Berger Allemand|
|Life Cycle||6 -10 years|
|Character||Intelligent, Kind, Gentle, Agile and Mild temperament|
|Height||Male: 23-27 inches|
Female: 22-26 inches
|Weight||Male: 44-78 pounds|
Female: 44-76 pound
|Color||Tan with Black saddle|
|Average price||1200 US$|
|Good with Kids||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Child Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Cat Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ☆|
|Dog Friendly||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Trainability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Shedding||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Watchdog||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Intelligence||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Grooming||★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆|
|Popularity||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
|Adaptability||★ ★ ★ ★ ★|
One of America’s most popular dog breeds is German shepherd. It is an intelligent and working dog. The courage and the devotion of this breed is peerless and he’s amazingly versatile, excelling at most anything he’s trained to do: guide and assistance work for the handicapped, police and military service, herding, search and rescue, drug detection, competitive obedience and, last but not least, faithful companion.
German shepherd is with outline of smooth curves on the body, It is longer in length than in height. Substantial German shepherd is agile and strong. The gait of this dog is remarkably effortless and flexible ground covering with great drive and approach. With outer dense, rather wavy, straight and harsh coat, the close lying undercoat is tight on body. Long muzzle and upright erected ears play graceful role in overall expression of the breed as elegant and alert dog.
German shepherd developed from sheepdogs of Wurtemberg Mountains of Germany to work as a versatile and agile dog for guarding, herding, cattle driving farmhouse and property watchdog, working dog, and military dog. Capt Max Von Stephanitz of Germany created the Deutsche Schäferhunde from a cross of early shepherd dogs possessing a range of colors, textures, coat lengths and body types during 1899. In 1901 it was standardized in Germany. The dog made its way to USA in 1907, thereafter it was recognized by AKC in 1908. Currently the dog is amongst the most popular dogs and embraces a wide variety of applications.
German Shepherd is an emblem of distinct character, powered with confidence and strength as well as determination and enthusiasm. Classically, it is dauntless breed of dogs, with extreme loyalty and protective nature. Tremendously eager to please once you have set yourself as the “Alpha dog”. A German shepherd can fight up to its death for the life of its master and is too strong to win a battle. They are aloof of strangers and stand aside ignoring completely but possessive towards own family’s safety; moreover they are slow in accepting new peoples in their friends list. Amazingly, German Shepherds are alert with never miss anything, determination that goes on around them. This temperamental value makes the breed a perfect watchdog.
A German shepherd makes an outstanding and brilliant companion if once it gets bonded to an owner. Although, it is common thinking of people that this is a watchdog but with a proper training and socialization can make a great family pet. It is not only protective and loyal but also cheerful, sweet and loving with their families. Anyhow, not just get along well with other pets at home but also extremely well with children. They must have interaction regularly with their families because they do not want to be left alone for prolonged duration.
Top 50 Dog Breeds
Once trained, they can be relied on to behave appropriately wherever you accompany them or not, it has a steady, calm and even temperament. Their strength and the body posture make them ideal for working dog. They are frequently used for guidance of blinds and hearing impaired personnel, police work, as military dogs, as service dogs, as herding dogs and as security dogs. Their sense of smelling is too strong to detect explosives, drugs and trailing of suspect, quite accurately and reliably after committed and concern training.
Owner Should Know
- The German Shepherd suffers separation anxiety when left alone, they could get destructive with excessive digging and chewing in a result. The breed is suited for well populated family ensuring human interactions with dog.
- Interactive and charming activities are to be planned during training and in routine exercises to stimulate its metal and physical requirements.
- Housetrain would be effective if you socialize your dog from its puppyhood, introduce your puppy with other family members, pets, surrounding society and general environment around to better suit your lifestyle.
- Committed grooming and cleaning required as the breed is classified as heavy shedder.
- Crate training isn’t solely beautiful thanks to housebreak a puppy; it aids teach him to be calm and happy once separated from his owner. This is often particularly necessary for the German shepherd dog, who generally suffers separation anxiety, or extreme anxiety once left alone.
- The breed is not merely a watchdog, but an all time companion, packed with energy, this breed demands wider area to exercise its activities, therefore apartment life is not suggested for them.
- Seek for reputed and trusted breeders or suppliers to get healthy puppies, ensure puppies are clinically checked and are disease free.